Lets start with a few quotes about our captain cool:
“Dhoni is my hero. We talk a lot about Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, but this boy has as much as talent as anyone in the game” – Kapil Dev
“Dhoni is one of the finest leaders in the game in the last 30 years and is at par with the likes of Imran Khan, Mark Taylor and Arjuna Ranatunga.” – Ian Chappel
“Dhoni has the respect of all other playing nations. I’ve found him to be a really strong leader” – Glenn McGrath
“He has evolved as a leader, not just as a cricketer. In my opinion, if you see his records, he is definitely the best captain India ever had” – Wasim Akram
” He is a great leader by example. Someone whom I have always admired for his ability to remain balanced and have the sense of equanimity about his captaincy,”- Rahul Dravid
“If 15 runs are needed off the last 6 balls, pressure is on the bowler and not on MS Dhoni.” – Ian Bishop
THE TIMES OF INDIA: Men like Adam Gilchrist (96.95), Viv Richards (90.20) and Kapil Dev (95.07) have better strike-rates than Dhoni. A few like Sachin Tendulkar (18,176), Sanath Jayasuriya (13,430) and Ricky Ponting (13,695) would always remain out of his reach by way of runs. But it’s difficult to think if these legends could have donned as many hats as Dhoni does – a batsman, keeper, captain and a finisher – and done as well over a period of time. He also hardly misses a game.
Here are a few things that you might not know about captain cool:
1. Dhoni worked as a ticket collector with the Indian Railways at the Kharagpur Railway Station in West Bengal.
2. On his ODI debut, Dhoni scored a duck against Bangladesh, out run out.
3. Dhoni loves bikes and cars, many of his cars have the license number ‘007’.
4. Dhoni’s father and his wife Sakshi’s father both worked for the same company, MECON.
5. The bat used by Dhoni in the world cup final match was sold for INR 72 Lac. The money went to Sakshi Rawat Foundation, operated by Dhoni’s wife Sakshi Rawat to help orphan children.
6. Dhoni’s favourite dish is chicken butter masala.
7. MS Dhoni has made the helicopter shot his trademark. His friend, a former Jharkhand cricketer, Santosh Lal taught this shot to him. Unfortunately, Lal passed away at a young age of 32 in 2013. Dhoni had arranged for his treatment in Delhi, but couldn’t save him.
8. Dhoni holds the post of Vice-President of India Cements Ltd. India Cements is the owner of the IPL team Chennai Super Kings, and Dhoni has been its captain since the first edition of IPL.
9. TIME magazine added Dhoni in its “Time 100” list of 100 most influential people of 2011.
10. Among Indian batsmen who have played more than 50 ODIs, Dhoni has the highest average.
11. Dhoni, during his school days, excelled in badminton and football and was selected at district and club level in these sports.